Therapeutic Solutions (Addictions) offers a range of analytical, research and evaluation expertise across substance misuse, mental health and criminal justice settings. We have produced over 100 reports since 2006 that covers health needs assessments, bespoke evaluations and service reviews alongside a number of key peer-reviewed papers (see below for more detail).
We have developed a specialism for understanding the health and substance misuse needs of individuals in the criminal justice system from detainees in police custody; prison healthcare and across the new arrangements for the Probation Service (including Community Rehabilitation Companies). We provide a range of methodologically robust approaches that include:
- Secondary analysis of management information and other datasets from SystmOne (in custodial settings); the National Drug Treatment Monitoring System (NDTMS) and the Drug Intervention Programme (DIP)
- Development of epidemiological models of prevalence used as part of our health needs assessment methodology
- Interviews with over 500 members of strategic and operational staff involved in service delivery
- Interviews with over 500 prisoners as part of health needs assessments and other bespoke studies (for example, the Ministry of Justice-funded Review of the Drug Rehabilitation Requirement in 2010)
- Bespoke surveys of over 750 prisoners across health settings in police custody and in prison
- Providing a greater understanding of the organisational environment through use of bespoke surveys aimed at measuring operational functioning
All studies are undertaken to the highest level of scientific rigour including appropriate statistical tests are undertaken on good quality data (involving a range of data cleansing approaches). Surveys and interviews are all subject to rigorous piloting and testing for representativeness (e.g. through power calculations).
Health Needs Assessments
Therapeutic Solutions (Addictions) has undertaken over 50 health needs assessment (HNA) since 2006 including a wide range of studies in the community and in the criminal justice system. Over 1,000 interviews have been undertaken with stakeholders since 2006 including several hundred with offenders in and outside of prison. We have undertaken assessments within police custody and in prison, alongside work with Immigration Removal Centres (IRCs) and Sexual Assault Referral Centres (SARCs).read more
We have undertaken a range of studies aimed at facilitating an individual’s recovery from addiction. We have specialised in helping local services and commissioners reshape their services to meet client need. These have included a range of studies that help services develop new assessment approaches, to the development of cognitive techniques including use of node-link mapping, peer mentoring and telephone-based adaptive counselling.read more
Research and Projects
We have been commissioned to undertaken a range of studies in the community and across the criminal justice system. We also provide bespoke cutting-edge analytical support using a mix of quantitative and qualitative methods.read more
Criminal Justice Interventions
We have expertise of undertaking a range of studies focusing specifically on the needs of detainees and offenders within the criminal justice system. We have worked with detainees in police custody, offenders within prison and post-release.read more